Sunday, June 22, 2008

Upward Cheerleading

Gracie had another wonderful season of cheerleading for Upward Flag Football. She really enjoys going to the games and seeing her new friends. Every year Upward does something special for the kids, this year they did a carnival.
Some of you may have heard already what happened at the carnival, but for those of you who have not here is the story. We arrived at 2:00pm sharp to severe rain with hail, so we decided to go run some errands and come back later. We arrived again at about 2:30 - 3:00pm and was told we have about a 30min. window before the next storm came through. So we decided to go ahead and have lunch there and then let the kids go on a couple of moon walk type activities before the next storm came. They went on a great big slide and we then walked over to the obsticle course for them to do that. They were in there for about 5min. and I told Gracie to get her brother and come on out because the weather was starting to change. The wind was blowing harder, the temp. changed about 10 degrees and the clouds were moving in. They came out and we all turned to walk away, when someone yelled "Watch out!" I turned to see the moon walk following me. The wind had caught it and it was on the move, with children still in it. We looked around to see 2 other moonwalks had caught air and were flying across the field like kites. They too had children still in them. It was so scary. People were running everywhere to try and catch them and ground them so they could get the kids out. People were yelling for their children not knowing where they were at the moment. I was told later that 8 people were taken to the hospital. I then talked to another women who said her son was missing for about 20min. I can't imagine what that must have felt like. I took my kids to the truck and prayed, while Joe went back to see if he could help.

1 comment:

J Gwinn said...

That is a crazy story and I am sure it was scary, but I have a funny mental image of a rolling moon bounce with kids inside of it!
I hope none of the injuries were too serious.